30 August 2009

The new hens

Hello Lily and Jasper,

I think that I forgot to show you the extensions to the chook yard.
Last year sometime Grandad and I extended the yard by about three times its size. This was so that if we had to go away then there was plenty of room for the hens to run around when we were not there to let them out each afternoon. We would only leave them for two or three days at the most.



Early this winter I gave away all our hens to people who wanted them as pets because they hadn't laid any eggs for a long time. As it had been raining such alot this would also allow the yard to dry out and we could clean out the hen's shed too.



Last week I decided that it was time for some new hens, so I bought three when I was in Lismore. They are very timid at present and are still getting used to living in our big yard. I'm sure that when they have settled down they will lay us lovely brown eggs. What do you think?

6 comments:

Penny said...

Hello gran your hens are lovely.

what are their names?
Love lily.

Rosebank Magic said...

I haven't given them names yet Lily. Perhaps you could help me.
One of them has some pretty reddish brown feathers speckled on her chest, another one has one little white feather on the edge of her wing, and the last one is black all over.
I'm going to bed now but perhaps you and Jasper could think up a name for each of them and I can read them in the morning.
Love Gran

Penny said...

Lily suggests Blackie for the all black one, Chestnut for the one with the brown feathers and Rainbow for the one with the white tip!

:)

Rosebank Magic said...

They are such good names, I wouldn't have thought of Rainbow or Chestnut but I had thought of Blackie. I'll go down in the morning and tell them their names.
We are very busy on the farm at present and when Grandad goes away for a week tomorrow I have to do the spraying; that will be a bit scary but I think I'll be OK. He is doing some of it tonight so that I won't have to do too much.

screamish said...

this blog is lovely...makes me very homesick and miss my family in Oz!

Rosebank Magic said...

Ah ... Screamish, I'm not sure which is worse - being the homesick one or being the one left at home and feeling just as bereft.
But anyway we get on with it all. I will be getting my fix of the family when they come home for 6 weeks in July.
As for the blog - I know I am very slack and keep telling myself to post more often but I always seem to have something else to do. Seeing someone other than Penny reading it makes me realise I had better do something. Which part of France are you in?